This year is the 92nd annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, held on Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 22, 2018 – beginning at 9am and ending at 12 noon (Eastern Time).
游行是美国最受欢迎的度假活动之一，也是纽约市的传统1924 。过去几年已经看到了3 。 5万人出席看多了1 ， 500舞者， 1 ， 000小丑，和30 +游行花车。
So pick up a New York City Explorer Pass® and save up to 50% off combined admission to top attractions including…
- Museum of Modern Art
For some other ideas, check out our post on Thanksgiving in New York and things to do in November.
Of course, the most feasible option for many of us is to stake out a spot on the street and watch the holiday spectacle for free!
To secure a good spot and have the most enjoyable experience, you’ll want to get there bright and early! Spectators typically start lining the streets around 6 AM or earlier. We suggest you do not leave once you get a good place to watch.
A lot of the performances happen around 34thStreet, so those will be the most coveted spots and the most difficult to procure (along with spots at the beginning and the end of the parade route).
There is more than 2.5 miles of public viewing spots, but we have found that the higher up in Streets you go, the more space there is so you can probably get closer to the Parade.
You’ll want to dress in warm layers, bring a thermos of hot coffee or cocoa, and either pack a picnic basket or scope out a nearby food vendor, many of whom you’ll find in Central Park.
With the right attitude, you’ll have the time of your life when Tom Turkey leads his way through Manhattan.
Finagle Some Grandstand Tickets to the Parade
Technically, Macy’s doesn’t sell grandstand tickets to the general public. But sometimes, where there’s a will there’s a way…
Grandstand tickets to the Macy’s parade are reserved for the friends and family of parade participants, Macy’s employees and volunteers.
First, try asking around – if you live near New York, you may know someone with an extra ticket.
If this doesn’t pan out, try searching the web, like Craigslist. While not for sale through Macy’s, in past years grandstand tickets have been found online for a (very) hefty price.
Book a Hotel Room with a View
Grandstand seating and street spots may be hard to come by, but if you act quickly, you can get VIP access to the parade through one of the hotels along the route!
Again, hotel rooms with a view and VIP packages both come at a high price; however, once you see what’s in these exclusive packages, you just may find it’s worth it.
In the past, some package options included the Mandarin Oriental, the New York Hilton Midtown’s Thanksgiving Packages, the JW Marriott’s Buffet Brunch Package or Parade-View Room Package, and the Residence Inn Prime View Package.
Be sure to check out each hotel’s official website for specifics on this year’s packages.
More Tips for Viewing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Make sure you know this year’s parade route (as it has changed in the past). Check out the official site for the complete lineup, parade route, and much more info.
- Macy’s recommends between 61st and 72nd on Central Park West as the best place to watch the parade.
- Follow @Macys on Twitter and check out all social media with #macysParade to get the latest Parade updates, photos, and to join the conversation.
- If you are in or around NYC beforehand and want a chance to see the big balloons being inflated, head to 77th and 81st streets (between Central park West and Columbus Avenue) from 3-10pm on Wednesday night, before the parade.
- Stake out a spot very early (early birds typically stake out their spots around 6am!), bundle up, and wear comfortable shoes, as you’ll be standing for quite a while it what is typically very cold weather.
- Make sure your phones and cameras are fully charged before you arrive – you won’t find a place to charge your tech during the parade and you won’t want to miss out on photos!
- Use the restroom before you arrive – there are no public facilities on the parade route.
- Bring plenty of snacks for you and your loved ones just in case there are no convenient options nearby.
- Expect massive crowds, and be cautious with your children. Keep the family together at all times!
- Be aware that this parade will cause a lot of attraction closures along the parade route. Save your exploring for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Bonus: if you happen to want to do a little shopping while you’re in town, after the parade be sure to stop by the mezzanine level of Macy’s Herald Square for a 10% off Visitor’s Savings Pass.
The 2018 Parade’s Balloons & Floats
This year’s signature giant character balloons include (as usual) plenty of fan favorites, including…
- Olaf the snowman
- Sinclair’s Dino
- Charlie Brown
- Pillsbury Doughboy
- Ronald McDonald
The 2018 Performers
This year’s performers include…
- Ashley Tisdale
- Barenaked Ladies
- Diana Ross and Family
- Leona Lewis
Save on Admission to Top New York City Holiday Attractions
Remember, you can enjoy savings of up to 50% off admission to many of the top attractions with a New York City Explorer Pass® – the best choice for maximum savings and flexibility.
Enjoy the parade and your Thanksgiving weekend!